Merlyn was built by Gilcraft Boats in Queenscliff, Victoria in 1963. At 18 foot in length, she is believed to be one of four smaller boats built by Gilcraft around this time.
She was originally named Wauchope, being the name of a steamer that in 1919 caught fire whilst waiting on quarantine the abandoned hull drifting onto the sandbank and wrecked off the Lentell Avenue area, Portsea, in Port Phillip, Victoria. In her life span she has undergone a few name changes.
Wauchope was used for trolling for pike and salmon in the waters of Port Phillip. In this period she was utilized as a tender to a larger commercial fishing boat out of Queenscliff.
Custodian: Barry Dawes; c1970s – c1980s
In the 1970s, she was owned by Barry Dawes and became part of the early Couta Boat fleet that began sailing out of Portsea.
Custodian: Philip Myer; c1980s
In the 1980s, she was sold to Philip Myer at Queenscliff who renamed her Merlyn after his grandmother. Phillip undertook some work on the boat including fitting a centre-board case.
Custodian: Leanne Allbutt; c1990s
Leanne Allbutt from Queenscliff purchased Merlyn from Phillip Myer and re-named her Daisy.
Custodian: C Montgomery; c1990s
In the 1990s, she was purchased by C Montgomery who took her to Melbourne. In this period her name was reverted to Merlyn.
Custodian: Rhyse Watson; 1999 – Present
Merlyn returned to the Sorrento waters in 1999 with her current owner Rhyse Watson and was re-registered as C109.