Latest News

Scoop and more

CBA Season Events

Couta Boat Association Events

Facebook

Storm Bay, 54 Tasmanian fishing smack (1925)

Built for fisherman, George Bridge in 1925, the Storm Bay is named after the source of vast schools of Barracouta and the destination of most fishermen when they set off each morning from Victoria Dock. Designed by Alf Blore and built by Percy Coverdale at Battery Point, Tasmania, the 54 foot boat has Blue Gum frames, with hull and decks planked with Huon Pine. Some of the planks are the full length, 52 feet in a curve.

She was gaff rigged with topsail, fishing took place while the boat drifted under a double reefed mainsail. The couta jig or lure was a piece of white Huon Pine about 6 long, tapered with two big barbless hooks, attached to a linked wire chain, fastened to a 15 foot Sassafras sapling. With no refrigeration, Storm Bay had a wet well made of 4 thick Huon pine.

The Bridge family owned Storm Bay from 1925 until 1963, looking after her like a yacht. Georges grandson Jim Bridge of Lutana, followed in the family business and fished for 14 years aboard Storm Bay during the 1940s and 50s. Prior to her restoration she was a crayboat operating out of St. Helens, acquiring a wheel house along the way. She was bought by Tim Phillips of The Wooden Boatshop (Couta boat builder at Sorrento, Victoria) who restored her to original condition as a sailing vessel.

Couta Boat Association added 2 new photos.

'Storm Bay', 54' Tasmanian fishing 'smack' (1925)

Built for fisherman, George Bridge in 1925, the 'Storm Bay' is named after the source of vast schools of Barracouta and the destination of most fishermen when they set off each morning from Victoria Dock. Designed by Alf Blore and built by Percy Coverdale at Battery Point, Tasmania, the 54 foot boat has Blue Gum frames, with hull and decks planked with Huon Pine. Some of the planks are the full length, 52 feet in a curve.

She was gaff rigged with topsail, fishing took place while the boat drifted under a double reefed mainsail. The 'couta jig or lure was a piece of white Huon Pine about 6' long, tapered with two big barbless hooks, attached to a linked wire chain, fastened to a 15 foot Sassafras sapling. With no refrigeration, 'Storm Bay' had a wet well made of 4' thick Huon pine.

The Bridge family owned 'Storm Bay' from 1925 until 1963, looking after her like a yacht. George's grandson Jim Bridge of Lutana, followed in the family business and fished for 14 years aboard 'Storm Bay' during the 1940's and 50's. Prior to her restoration she was a crayboat operating out of St. Helens, acquiring a wheel house along the way. She was bought by Tim Phillips of The Wooden Boatshop (Couta boat builder at Sorrento, Victoria) who restored her to original condition as a sailing vessel.
... See MoreSee Less

2 months ago

Race Results

Latest results will be added soon.

Contact Us

Email us at:
cba@coutaboat.com.au

or Write to us at:
P O Box 258
Blairgowrie Vic 3942

Newsletter

Subcribe to “Scoop”